The Church History
The Welcome Missionary Baptist Church was organized as a mission under the leadership of the late E.B. Johnson, on the first Sunday in May, 1945 at Hale and Orleans (his home). The Mission progressed greatly until Rev. Johnson became ill and eventually deceased in 1953. This brought a great struggle upon the Mission. In May, 1955, Mother Beulah Johnson, the widow of the late Rev. Johnson was led by the spirit of the Lord to have the mission incorporated with the State, thus obtaining it’s first name, “
In October, 1965, Rev. A. Davis was called to pastor. The membership had perished to only five faithful, tow Deacons, two Mothers, and the secretary. Through sincere prayers and Rev. Davis demonstrating his stern faith in God, the church began to grow again, both spiritually and numerically.
In September 1967, under the leadership of Pastor Davis and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the church purchased and moved to 10203 E. Canfield at Hulburt, where it worshipped and continued to grow until the Lord directed another move. After prayerfully considering the move, the church accepted the challenge, and on the 4th Sunday in March 1976, they marched into 14625 Mack Avenue at Phillip. The Sunday evening radio broadcast WGPR 107.5 FM program began in 1988, and regretfully it was discontinued in 1992 after approximately four years on the air.
Pastor Davis had a vision to build a new edifice for God. In 1997, Pastor Davis’ dream to build a new church was presented to the Church family at an annual business meeting. The Ground Breaking Ceremony took place in February 1997. On November 1, 2007, Pastor Davis’ vision came to pass and the church marched into its new home at 3730 Philip, Detroit, MI 48215. Pastor Ananias Davis served as a pillar of the community. Pastor Davis went from labor to reward on February 5, 2009.
On June 18, 2009, the church elected Bishop Gregory M. Davis, Sr. (the grandson of the late Rev. Dr. Ananias Davis) to further lead and guide the church. Bishop Davis served as Pastor for one year. The church was faced with another threshold… without a pastor. On January 8, 2011, the church elected their current pastor, Rev. Dr. Kenneth E. Brock to serve as their Shepherd. Under the leadership of Dr.Kenneth Brock, the church moved to its current location, 5481 Burns Ave on July 10 2011. The move brought about renewed spirituality and enthusiasm for Kingdom work. The church started a feeding program which has been able to feed over 500 people each month and reach out to those in need.
We continue to stand on the promises of God; therefore, we pause during this month to celebrate and to salute the pioneers of this effort, who without a doubt, put God in front and in spite of difficult situations and small financial gains, were able to hold and push forward to here, with the banner of Christ ever hanging high that men may follow. We are blessed to have one charter member of the original five, Mother Lillian Brown.
There have been many leaders, many heartaches, many disappointments, much sufferings and also many joys and blessings. Members have come and gone, but the leaders who have waited on the guidance of the Holy Spirit have caught the gleam of a new day and have brought us into greater and more secure avenues of success. We pray to ever hold to these principles of faith and doctrine that have made us useful and inspirational.